The urban landscape presents lots of opportunities to frame photographs.
The rooftops in Sana’a in Yemen offer many opportunities to view the historic city.
So why frame the picture?
- Without the frame there is an open sky which was unremarkable
- This would make just another cityscape
- Using the frame adds interest in itself
- The frame also concentrates the attention on the details within the arch
Holding the viewer’s attention:
- This frame holds the attention of the viewer because you, the viewer notice the details in the arch.
- The arch contains the same materials as the buildings in the distance
- This creates a connection between the two, drawing you in, making you look closer, noticing the details of the buildings
- The distant objects are brought closer, this is why the picture works
You can find out more about sana’a from wikipedia